Montenegro’s contribution towards The Global Coalition against Daesh
Montenegro entered the Coalition in December 2014. They are active members of the Foreign Fighters working group and have provided support to the Iraqi Security Forces in the fight against terrorism
Key contributions in Iraq:
- In its role as a Coalition partner, Montenegro has supported the Iraqi Security Forces through donating ammunition and other forms of military ordnance to be used in the fight against DAESH.
- Through NATO funds, Montenegro has contributed to Iraqi security forces in 2018 with the amount of 20 000 EUR.
- Montenegro is also part of NATO-led RS Mission in Afghanistan, which is a major allied contribution to the Global Coalition, taking into account that DAESH also has terrorist cells in Afghanistan
Top Contributions of Coalition:
- Montenegro co-sponsored UN Security Council Resolution 2178, which was adopted by consensus at an extraordinary UN Session, conducted in September 2014 and chaired by US President Barack Obama.
- In support of UNSCR 2178, the Montenegrin Parliament amended the Penal Code of Montenegro where it stipulated “taking part in foreign armed formations” as a criminal offence.
- This effectively forbids Montenegrin citizens taking part in any activity pertaining to intent to leave the country to participate in foreign battlefields or be a member of foreign armed groups.
Links to Montenegro’s government websites